Gurnee Days is a great opportunity to have fun while helping your community! Gurnee Days 2018 will be held Thursday, August 9th to Sunday, August 12th. Read below for information on volunteering opportunities. Once you find an opportunity you like, make sure to submit your volunteer application.
Don't see something that fits? Have other ways you'd like to contribute? Please review our needs below and fill out the Volunteer Application at the bottom of the page.
Positions available for the Publicity committee require help on an ongoing basis. Some of the duties we are seeking assistance for include the following:
1. Create brochure working with printer vendor
2. Create event calendar for the website
3. Maintain Gurnee Days website content
4. Manage website photo gallery
5. Publish press releases
6. Develop media ads
7. Post to Facebook and other social media sites.
Business Community (Sponsorship) Committee
Positions available for the Business Community committee require help primarily from April through September. Some of the duties we are seeking assistance for include the following:
1. Obtain sponsor cash donations and in-kind donations of prizes
2. Work with printers to develop sponsor signage, flags, and other promotional materials
3. Coordinate posting of sponsor signs prior to and during the event
4. Manage sponsor cash donations, invoicing, and payments
Volunteers are needed each year during the Gurnee Days event to help answer general questions and give directions to the many events that are occurring around Viking Park (and offsite locations). We pair up an active Gurnee Days Committee Member with general volunteers to ensure that a knowledgeable person is there to teach you and advise you on all the details. Information sheets are also available as a guide to the entire event. These are easy to grasp and can be quickly learned by anyone that has a passion to help, work with people, and can be attentive to many requests that come during each shift. If you are interested our Volunteer Coordinator will reach out to you to confirm your availability and our needs. Shifts will be broken into 1-2 hour shifts based on the following times.
1. Friday, August 10, variable time slots between 5:00p to 10:30p
2. Saturday, August 11, variable time slots between 10:30a to 10:30p
3. Sunday, August 12, variable time slots between 11:00a to 5:00p
Exhibits and Vendors Committee
The Exhibits and Booths Committee is seeking volunteers to assist Exhibitors on Saturday morning, August 11 from 7:30 to 10:30a to help unload and bring items associated with their Exhibits to their designated booth. Responsibilities may also include giving directions to exhibitors. This position will require lifting from the ground and waist level. This position may also require walking with objects that have some level of weight to them.
Great Gurnee Adventure
The Great Gurnee Days Committee is seeking volunteers at various locations around Gurnee to help facilitate the challenge at each location by setting up the challenge for each new team, providing rules/instructions, timing and recording results. The Great Gurnee Adventure (GGA) is an 'Amazing Race' style event where teams compete in challenges at various businesses and locations and Gurnee. Volunteers are needed on Saturday, August 11 from 9:00a to 2:30p.
The Youth Committee is seeking volunteers for various times and events to support the youth events and activities offered at Gurnee Days. Times and event needs are listed below.
1. Bubble Soccer - Friday, August 10 from 5:30-8:15p (Organize participants and take admissions/tickets)
2. Ice Cream Eating Contest - Saturday, August 11 from 1:30-2:30p (Assist with filling of ice cream bowls and table cleanup)
3. Petting Zoo and Pony Rides - Sunday, August 12 from 12:45-4:15p (Take admissions/tickets)
The Parade Committee is seeking assistance for help the day before and the day after the Gurnee Days Parade which is held Sunday, August 12 beginning at Noon. Multiple volunteers are needed for all of the spots listed below:
1. Saturday, August 11 time to be determined. (setting up parade route numbers/sings)
2. Sunday, August 12 from 9:00a-1:30p (Setup parade route and numbers/sing, assist with directions, enforcement of parade rules, providing direction for participants